This website was recently migrated to Drupal 9.  We are aware of some broken pages.  We hope to have full functionality by 12/9/2023. 

Thank you for your patience. 

J-1 Scholars

Purpose of the Exchange Visitor Program

The purpose of the J Exchange Visitor Program is to implement the Mutual Educational and Cultural Exchange Act (Fulbright-Hayes Act) of 1961,  "to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries by means of educational and cultural exchanges."

Overview of J-1 Program


Visiting Scholars at Tulane

Academic departments are encouraged to take advantage of Tulane’s designation as a U.S. Department of State approved Exchange Visitor Program. Scholars typically collaborate on research or teach courses, but may come for purposes of observing, training, or lecturing. Departments should designate a faculty host to assist the exchange visitor once he or she arrives to campus. In order to provide the prospective exchange visitor with adequate time to obtain a J-1 visa, make travel arrangements, etc., please complete and submit this form to the Office of International Students and Scholars as early as possible. Please be aware that for scholars coming more than 6 months in advance, OISS can only make documents 4-6 months in advance.


Persons with tenure track positions, clinical residencies or student positions (e.g. Research Assistant) are NOT eligible for the categories of J-1 Professor, Research Scholar, or Short Term Scholar.  The exchange visitor must have a minimum of a bachelor's degree.

Prospective Scholars

Thank you for your interest in Tulane University. In order for our office to create an immigration document that you will need to apply for a U.S. visa, we first must have confirmation from your sponsoring department at Tulane.

If you already know a professor at Tulane with whom you would like to work, please include their information when contacting our office.  If you have not yet found a professor with whom you would like to work, you will need to find one and their department must agree to host you before your application can be accepted.  If the department agrees to host you, our office will begin the process to create a DS-2019 for you, which you would then use to apply for a J-1 visa.  If you have any dependents, we would need their information at that time.

Additional Materials

To learn the J-1 Scholar Health Insurance requirement you can click here.

For more information on the J-1 Scholar status you can click here.

If you are transferring in from another institution you must fill out the J-1 scholar transfer-in form.

If you have any questions, please contact the Office of International Students and Scholars (