Tenure-Track International Faculty


The Office for International Students and Scholars (OISS) will assist with processing non-immigrant applications for faculty. Each situation is different depending on the position and the immigration history of the individual being hired.

We Will Help You Through the Process

The information below will provide you with a preliminary overview of the requirements. While it can appear that there is a great deal of paperwork, OISS will help departments and faculty sort through the bureaucratic maze.

Cost for the Department

The cost to a department can vary from $0 for a recent graduate who has optional practical training or a J-1 exchange visitor visa to $2050 for a 3 year H-1B with premium processing.

Before Offering Employment

OISS recommends that departments contact us for advice prior to offering employment to an individual. While we will gladly talk to the candidate, please notify us before having the candidate call us.

F-1 (OPT)

Candidates currently in the U.S. studying in F-1 status may be eligible for one-year of Optional Practical Training (OPT) following completion of their degree. OPT allows the faculty member to begin working in their field without any application from Tulane University. OISS can then apply for the H-1 during the first year of employment. For candidates outside the U .S. or ineligible for OPT, the H-1B application is the most appropriate.


H-1- is a temporary work visa that can be obtained initially for up to 3 years with an additional three-year extension. The application costs $460 plus $500 for an anti-fraud fee for new applications. The process can take from 2-4 months. Departments or the employee can pay an additional $1225 for premium processing which will take 15 days once the application is submitted to DHS. Once all paperwork has been submitted to OISS, it will take 1-2 weeks to complete the process and submit the application to DHS... LEARN MORE.

Permanent Residence

Permanent residence allows an individual to reside and work permanently in the U.S. The application process can take from 2-4 years for a faculty member. Normally, Tulane will apply for an H-1B for the faculty member and once this has been granted the faculty member must begin the process for permanent residence.

The permanent residence application is a two-step process: the labor certification through the Department of Labor and the Permanent Residence application through the Department of Homeland Security.

  • The labor certification must be filed within 18 months of the offer of employment or the position will have to be readvertised.
  • Because the Department of Labor stipulates that all costs for the labor certification must be paid by the employer, the Labor Certification application will cost the department or college between $1500 and $3000 depending on whether the position must be readvertised. Please contact OISS for the name of the approved attorney for the labor certification.

The faculty member is responsible for the costs of the permanent residence application which can cost $4000 and up. Contact OISS for recommendations.

NOTE: Faculty in tenure track positions have 18 months from the offer of employment to submit a labor certification to the DOL, the first part of the permanent residence application. If the application is not submitted by then, a new search will have to be done before the individual can apply for permanent residence