On February 29, 2020 a new Presidential Proclamation was issued titled Proclamation on the Suspension of Entry as Immigrants and Nonimmigrants of Certain Additional Persons Who Pose a Risk of Transmitting Coronavirus. The proclamation suspends entry into the United States of all aliens (immigrants, non-immigrants, and other non U.S. citizens) who were physically present within the Islamic Republic of Iran during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States, and is currently in effect.
This is the second proclamation related to COVID-19, the first one was issued on January 31, 2020 suspending entry to all aliens from the People's Republic of China which is also currently in effect. You can read our communication about it here.
The proclamation provides that the coronavirus travel bans does not apply to any alien who is:
- A lawful permanent resident of the United States
- A spouse of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident
- A parent or legal guardian of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, provided that the U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident is unmarried and under the age of 21;
- A sibling of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, provided that both are unmarried and under the age of 21;
- A child, foster child, or ward of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, or who is a prospective adoptee seeking to enter the United States pursuant to the IR-4 or IH-4 visa classifications;
- An alien traveling at the invitation of the United States Government for a purpose related to containment or mitigation of the virus.
If you plan on traveling to Iran in the next month or two or have family members who would like to travel to the United States soon, please reach out to the OISS at +1-504-865-5208 or email@example.com. We invite you to learn more about the Coronavirus and Tulane’s response by visiting this FAQ website.
Additionally, If you are planning on doing any international travel in the near future we strongly suggest that you read through our International Travel Guidance during COVID-19 website.
We hope that you have not been personally impacted by the 2019-nCoV. All of us at the Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) are thinking of you.
Director, Office of International Students and Scholars
Newcomb-Tulane College I Tulane University
6901 Willow St
504.865.5208 I firstname.lastname@example.org