Tulane Home Tulane Shield logo linking to site home page

Maintaining TN Status

Students by building

Checklist for Maintaining your TN Status

To maintain TN status, you must do the following:

☐ You must only work for the petitioning employer in the specific position that was approved with USCIS.

☐ Unauthorized employment: You must not participate in any unauthorized employment since your immigration status may be subject to termination when you engage in such activities. It is possible to add a second employer if you are offered employment outside of Tulane. The second job must be approved by USCIS or approved upon entry to the US before you can begin working. You must report to OISS any material changes (e.g., a substantial promotion, such as from post doc to assistant professor) to the position previously approved in original petition. Filing an amended petition may be necessary.

☐ If your employment at Tulane is ending, please consult with the OISS to discuss your immigration status before your employment end date.

☐ Maintain a valid, unexpired passport for the duration of your employment, even if you are not traveling outside the U.S.

☐ Nonimmigrant Intent for TNs: The TN visa is a nonimmigrant visa. You must show that your stay in the U.S. is temporary and that you intend to return to your home country at the end of your work authorization. If your current TN visa expires and you apply for a new TN visa, you must show strong financial, family, and/or employment ties to your home country to receive the new TN visa. If you do anything that shows an intent to immigration, such as marrying a U.S. citizen, it could be difficult for you to renew your TN visa. Seek immigration counsel anytime that you are concerned about jeopardizing your “nonimmigrant” status in the US.

☐ Avoid criminal activity, especially related to illegal drugs and drinking and driving. Any arrest, even if you are not convicted of a crime, can have serious immigration consequences. Contact OISS and/or the Tulane Legal Assistance Program (TULAP) immigration attorney if you have been arrested. Even if you have criminal legal defense, you must receive additional legal advice from an immigration attorney, as these are separate areas of the law.

☐ Report any change of your U.S. home address within 10 days directly to the USCIS

TD Dependents:

TD dependents may study in the U.S. without restriction.

 TD dependents are not authorized to work in the U.S.

☐ Before a TD dependent child reaches the age of 21, s/he must make arrangements in advance for a change of immigration status if the dependent child plans to stay in the U.S.

Maintaining Status While Traveling Outside the U.S.

☐ Passport: Make sure your passport is valid for at least 6 months into the future. You can be denied entry to the U.S. if your passport is expired. If your passport needs to be renewed, start the process as soon as possible. If you need to renew it within the U.S., contact your country’s embassy or consulate for the proper procedures and application materials.

☐ Visa: Make sure your TN or TD visa is valid. If you need to renew your visa, the best place is generally your home country. If it is not feasible to travel to your home country to renew your visa, contact the OISS for guidance. (Not applicable to Canadian citizens, who do not receive a visa stamp in their passport.)

☐ Proof of status: Make sure that you bring a copy of your TN status.

☐ Proof of employment: We advise you to bring a letter from your supervisor stating your employment activities at Tulane in case there is a question about your status at Tulane.

☐ I-94: Your I-94 is the official record of your immigration status at the time you enter the U.S., and it must be correct. Every time you leave the U.S. and return, you must check your I-94 online at https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/ to make sure it shows your most recent date of entry, your class of admission is H-1B/H-4/TN, and your admit until date is correct. If any of these are in error, contact the OISS immediately to request help with correcting your I-94 record.

☐ Travel tips: All travelers are subject to search when entering the U.S., including a search of your electronic devices like phones and laptops. To reduce the possibility of your electronics and social media being inspected when you enter the U.S., keep them in your luggage and present only your passport and paper copies of your immigration documents and airplane tickets. For more information on your rights at the airport, visit the American Civil Liberties Union website.

Back to Top