This website was recently migrated to Drupal 9.  We are aware of some broken pages.  We hope to have full functionality by 12/9/2023. 

Thank you for your patience. 

Spring Break Travel Signature Reminder

Office of International Students and Scholars

As spring break approaches, here are some friendly reminders that we hope you will consider as you contemplate any travel.  We hope you will enjoy the time away from work and school and return safely and promptly to New Orleans to finish out the semester.   

We understand that as international students, travel is an important part of your experience and at this time we are still urging caution when planning any non-essential international travel.  Consular delays are still impacting visa appointments, COVID surges may still impact your ability to return, the geopolitical situation may impact safety, and travel restrictions are subject to change at any time. If you are delayed in returning, it could  impact your academic status and your immigration status in the US. Before deciding whether to travel abroad, we urge you to check our Travel Guidance, and to make an appointment to speak with one of our advisors if you have any questions.  

Travel Signatures 

In order to return to the US, you will need a Travel Signature on your I‐20 or DS‐2019, authorized within the past year. 

Where can I find the travel signature? 

  • On the I-20 for F-1 students, it is on the second page. 
  • On the DS-2019 for J-1 students, it is on the bottom right corner of the first page. 

When do I need a travel signature? 

  • If your travel signature will be more than one year old on the day you plan to re-enter the country. 
  • If you have no travel signature. 
  • If your I‐20 says “Transfer Pending” or 'Change of Educational Level' on the top right side of the front page. 
  • To request a new Travel Signature, please submit this form to OISS as soon as you can. We will be unable to process same day requests. 

What documents do I need to re-enter the United States? 

  • I‐20 or DS‐2019 with a valid travel signature. 
  • Valid passport (valid for longer than six months). 
  • Valid F or J visa. 
  • I‐901 SEVIS fee payment receipt  
  • We also recommend that you keep on hand some proof of your attendance at Tulane, such as your current class schedule or bursar bill. 

If you are on OPT, you will also need: 

  • Proof of employment (letter from your employer and/or other documents). 
  • Your EAD work authorization card.